About Me

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey Everyone!! I'm Erika. I'm a 28 year old, fashion loving, food blogging, midwestern girl! I grew up on hearty meals and enjoying the simple life of South Dakota. Ever since leaving home I have found a love for baking and cooking. I started this blog for my family and friends so that they can see how food blog recipes REALLY turn out. When I'm not too busy running the fashion world and have time for the blogging world, I will try to update the blog weekly. I am not a professional and probably never will be, so don't expect too much from me. :) I just love to have fun, get messy and make the simple things. ENJOY!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake

This was one of my first "pins" on Pinterest and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to make it! HEAVEN!! The aroma from this recipe is to die for. It starts with clean lemon, moves to sweet buttermilk and ends with a mixture of baked blueberry/lemon/Sugar. UGH! (Yankee, get on it. I NEED this as a candle!)

This recipe is super easy and fairly inexpensive to make. Everything the recipe calls for in bulk, most people will have in their house. It is a great recipe for a large family or a house that eats breakfast all day long, like myself! :)

Ingredients:

½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
Topping: 1 tablespoon of sugar
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons

Step One:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixer (or x-large mixing bowl) cream together sugar, lemon and butter until smooth and fluffy. 

Step Two:
Add Egg and Vanilla. Beat until combined. 

Step Three:
Rinse blueberries. In a separate mixing bowl, toss blueberries with 1/4 of flour. Make sure blueberries are well covered with flour. 

Step Four:
In ANOTHER mixing bowl, combine remaining flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk together and set aside. 
Also, if using powered buttermilk, follow directions on back of container and make in a small pouring dish. I used SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend. I mixed two tablespoons of powered buttermilk and 1/2 cup of water. Whisk until smooth.

Step Five:
Slowly alternating, add flour mixture and buttermilk to the sugar/butter mixture. I did mine in 4 chunks and it mixed very well. 
Step Six:
Fold in blueberries. Make sure to not smash the blueberries!! :)
Step Seven:
Grease 9 inch baking dish or something similar (I used a 9x13 and it worked perfectly!) Evenly spread mixture in dish. Top with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Place into oven for 30-35 mins. (Poke into the cake with a toothpick and look for dryness to tell when done.)

Step Eight:
Let cool for about 5 mins. Cut into pieces and serve with your favorite breakfast drink, yogurt and/or fruit! :) ENJOY!!



Original Blog:
http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/06/29/buttermilk-blueberry-breakfast-cake/

No comments:

Post a Comment