About Me

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey Everyone!! I'm Erika. I'm a 28 year old, fashion loving, food blogging, midwestern girl! I grew up on hearty meals and enjoying the simple life of South Dakota. Ever since leaving home I have found a love for baking and cooking. I started this blog for my family and friends so that they can see how food blog recipes REALLY turn out. When I'm not too busy running the fashion world and have time for the blogging world, I will try to update the blog weekly. I am not a professional and probably never will be, so don't expect too much from me. :) I just love to have fun, get messy and make the simple things. ENJOY!

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Chocolate Chip Scones with Toasted Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds

The title is a mouth full and so are these delicious fall scones. Everyone loves a nice warm breakfast and if you are like me, you need it to be quick too! I saw this recipe on the Today show and knew I had to make it!!

This was the first time I have every made scones and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I also loved that I can use this recipe for substitutes such as blueberry or plain chocolate chip scones.

Check out my previous blog post to see how you make the toasted cinnamon sugar pumpkin seeds.
http://whatserikaeating.blogspot.com/2012/11/toasted-cinnamon-sugar-pumpkin-seeds.html

Ingredients:


6 tablespoons of chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 cubes, plus extra for greasing
2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for flouring pan
1/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup of toasted cinnamon sugar pumpkin seeds
3/4  cup of chilled buttermilk plus extra for brushing scones
1 large egg yoke
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar

Step One:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and butter a 9x13 baking sheet.
Step Two:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and rub into flour mixture with your hands. The mixture should look like course meal when mixed thoroughly. 

Step Three:
Mix in chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds.

Step Four:
In a small mixing bowl, whisk/combine: buttermilk, egg yoke and vanilla. Add to dry mixture and stir until combined. (Mixture should be sticky)


Step Five:
Flour a clean counter surface. Also, flour your hands. Take dough and place on flour surface. Form a 7-8 inch round. Cut into 7/8 slices.


Step Six:
Transfer to a grease and floured baking sheet. Do not worry if slices are not cut perfectly. Brush scones with buttermilk and top with brown sugar. Bake for 15-20 mins or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.


Step Seven:
Serve warm with a glass of milk or OJ and ENJOY!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment