About Me

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey Everyone!! I'm Erika. I'm a 28 year old, fashion loving, food blogging, midwestern girl! I grew up on hearty meals and enjoying the simple life of South Dakota. Ever since leaving home I have found a love for baking and cooking. I started this blog for my family and friends so that they can see how food blog recipes REALLY turn out. When I'm not too busy running the fashion world and have time for the blogging world, I will try to update the blog weekly. I am not a professional and probably never will be, so don't expect too much from me. :) I just love to have fun, get messy and make the simple things. ENJOY!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I have gotten a little fall happy and I just can't help it. Sixty degree days feel like fall to me after the summer we have had! When I woke up the other day and I had to wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt to let the dog out, turn my A.C. off and snuggle up with a blanket to eat my breakfast, I knew it was time to make soup again!

One of Craig's favorite meals is Chicken Tortilla Soup. I thought I'd be a good girlfriend and attempt to make some. He doubted me all day by saying that he has only had one other person's homemade chicken tortilla soup, his mothers. You can about imagine the pressure I was under. Thank goodness for The Pioneer Woman, she saved my day with this awesome recipe and awarded me with a tying 1st place ribbon for best Chicken Tortilla Soup.

If you have never made a homemade soup before, please keep in mind that this is not a quick meal. You have to cut up all the veggies, pull apart the meat and sit around while the spices cook. Even though it is time consuming, it is incredibly easy and worth it!

photo credit: The Pioneer Woman
Ingredients:


  • 2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or one rotisserie chicken
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • (YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE A PACKAGE OF TACO SEASONING IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE INGREDIENTS IN BOLD)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1 cup Diced Onion
  • 1/4 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
  • 1/2 cup Diced Yellow Bell Pepper
  • 1/4 cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 can (10 Oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies
  • 32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Stock
  • 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
  • 4 cups Hot Water
  • 2 cans (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Drained
  • 3 Tablespoons Cornmeal Or Masa
  • 5 whole Corn Tortillas, Cut Into Uniform Strips Around 2 To 3 Inches
  • _____
  • FOR THE GARNISHES:
  • Sour Cream
  • Diced Avocado
  • Diced Red Onion
  • Salsa Or Pico De Gallo
  • Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
  • Cilantro

***If you are going to use chicken breasts, instead of rotisserie chicken, click on the website at the bottom of this post for the instructions about how to season and cook your meat. I do not have step by step directions for this process because I took the easy/cheap way out!***


Step One:
Chop up green, yellow and red peppers. I did not measure and just used 1/2 of a medium sized pepper. Also, chop up about 1/3 of the onion into small pieces. 

Step Two:
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Add peppers, onion, minced garlic and two tablespoons of spice mix (taco seasoning) to pan and begin the cooking process. 




 Step Two:
Pour rotel, tomato paste, 2 MORE tablespoons of taco seasoning/ spice mix, chicken stock, black beans, water and shredded chicken into pan and mix together.







Step Three:
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for the next 45 mins uncovered.

Step Four:
Combine corn meal and a small amount of water in a bowl. Add to soup and stir. Let the soup cook for another 30 mins. You will see how thick the soup gets once the corn meal is added. Talk about magic!!



Step Five:
Let soup cool for about 15 mins. Ladle into bowls, top with preferred garnishments and ENJOY!


Original Recipe:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment